Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sharing

I have started reading "What’s Mine is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption" by Rachel Botsman and Roo Rogers. I am through the intro and the book focuses on the rise in Collaborative Consumption. Collaborative Consumption from what I can tell are 3 things:

1. Sharing something you own

2. Sharing something owned by an organization (company, communal)

3. Swapping of something you own for something similar via barter or to give it away completely

4. Collaborative Lifestyles – Which I have no idea what it is yet, so I will update once I figure it out

Key attributes to the shared item is:

A. That it sits idle for the majority of the time when owned by one.

B. Required by a diversity of people periodically. (the book calls it Critical Mass)

C. Trust that what you share is returned in a similar state or will be replaced if damaged

D. Is expensive or wasteful to purchase/maintain. (optional, but makes it economically easier for those wanting some $ for their sharing)

So far pretty common sense, but laid out in a nice narrative with good examples. Additionally the book states that for Collaborative Consumption to work you need belief in the commons which I will talk about once I get to it. Look forward to updating this in a week or so when I finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment