Friday, October 1, 2010

What is Spirituality?!?

Before blogging anything about spirituality I thought it would be worthwhile to give my definition of it. Let me know if you agree or disagree and what you would change or add.

I’ll start the answer to a question with a question. What do you seek in life today? I know many people would list material items, behaviors that they want themselves to perform, goals, better relationships and many externally empirical items. If I were to dig deeper and ask, why do you want these external and empirical answer and continue to ask why like a curious young child does, I would get to the root cause of “this external item will make me happy/at peace/joyful.” Spirituality to me is finding that happiness, peace, and joy internally without the use of external items. The external is ever changing and dynamic.

Proof in this would be if I were to ask the same question “what do you seek in life today?” to the same person in a month after asking the question the first time I would get some similar answers, but also many different ones. The truth of the matter is the external and empirical items we desire are constantly changing like all structures will do. Spirituality is a constant and a great equalizer. Regardless of your personal life situation you always have the ability to find your spirituality. Some environments make it easier and others more difficult, but it is a constant internal capability we always have (unless we are unconscious which I will discuss in another post). We as humans all have the same capacity for spirituality. It may not be recognized, but it is there.

In short, spirituality is finding, practicing and being the inner peace and joy that is within each of us every second of every day. To always being that peace. Until next time, be spiritual!

P.S. Majority of my views and even some words I use in my blog posts come from Buddhism and Eckhart Tolle’s books.

No comments:

Post a Comment