Monday, October 11, 2010

Why I neglected my spiritual side part 3

Continuing on my previous post I will explore a couple more reasons why I neglected my spiritual aspect. As I type this post I noticed there was more I had to say and there will likely be a part 3. As I mentioned before the amount of effort required to attain enlightenment felt greater than the return I would receive. Also I did not know what the return possibility was. Now that I have a taste of what enlightened thinking is here’s a couple more reasons why I neglected my spiritual side.

After reaching enlightenment, staying enlightened requires energy and upkeep. A key point many people forget and thus return from an enlightened state of mind back into what many of us consider the regular grind. Enlightenment is not a goal one achieves like a trophy and then puts it on a shelf and can say one has been enlightened. It’s a continuous way of life which at first requires much effort until it is a regular habit, like working out. One doesn’t magically one day say “I am in shape” you’ll stay in shape forever. It takes upkeep of good diet, healthy living and exercise to stay in shape. This upkeep requires a conscious acknowledgement that enlightenment is not a goal that is achieved, but is a lifestyle change which requires much energy.

It requires more upkeep then mental, physical and social aspects and perhaps the human mind is not naturally wired that way. Social and physical is fun, mental is fun. Perhaps it is more that not enough of us have found spiritual joy and therefore do not and cannot put a heavier emphasis on it than social and physical pleasures of life, however temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment